Friday, March 12, 2010

Time to Be More Like My Grandparents

No, I'm not saying I should sit around and watch sports, complete crosswords and play bridge. Though that does sound like fun to have a day like that every once in a while, I still can't play bridge.

I need to be more like my grandparents in that they didn't whine (to themselves or others) about how many years they have to work to get to where they want to be; they didn't feel entitled to anything; they did what needed to be done in order to live right and live well.

The last couple of years have been eye-opening for me. I'm reluctantly happy to agree that I'm the product of a generation who let themselves be deluded into thinking that if we got through school, did a couple of internships, we would find that sweet entry level job and flourish.

Well, I thought that I was immune to that delusion, but I've realized in the last year that I'm not. I was deluded that I wasn't deluded. Get it? I do now!

I'm at the point where I've got to step up and reinvest in my skill set to move forward into digital media, where I'd like to be.

It's time to tap into my self-motivation and suck it up. Like my grandparents would say, I'm the only one who's going to fight for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment