Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Nashville Weekend Part I

Yes, I was in Nashville during the Great Flood. But it didn't start out that way!

We (five other SPC fellows and I) went to celebrate Lisa and Amy's birthdays, and we stayed right downtown on Broadway, just off the highway.

Claire and I met Lisa and three of her good friends early on Friday. When we arrived, they were taking advantage of the last bit of sun by the pool.

View of the Columbus River from the end of Broadway. Now, completely flooded.

The five of us walked down Broadway towards the river to check out the bars and shopping. We stopped in a boot store to see what kind of stock they had -- Claire's friend at Vandy informed her that many stores had buy one pair of boots, get two free deals, so we had to check it out.

She found her pair right away, but I didn't immediately see anything that caught me. After, the six of us ate dinner at Sunset Grill in the Hillsboro neighborhood. I'd read about Hillsboro in Southern Living and was really curious to see how it lived up to the mag's description.

It's located right down the street from Vandy, less than ten minutes from downtown. The main drag that we visited is filled with businesses that have a trendy, uber-local vibe. It's the kind of neighborhood that you can find in any city and definitely a place I want to go back to!

I shared the seafood platter (crawfish hush puppies, shrimp and grits, one crab cake) with Claire and had a small salad, which was more than enough food. The salad really stood out for me. Sunset called "Chris's version of Beets and Heat" it included baby arugula, goat cheese, candied pecans, blood orange, fennel and golden beets. To balance the sweetness, Sunset serves the salad with a Tabasco-honey vinaigrette. It was tasty enough that I forgot to take a picture before eating it all.

Our server surprised Lisa with a delicious creme brulee!

After the rest of our group arrived after dinner, we headed out to the bars for a while (my favorite was Robert's Western World) but Claire and I called it an early night since we knew Saturday would be such a busy day.

No comments:

Post a Comment