Friday, November 13, 2009

Southern Progress Interviews

Two months ago -- I can't believe it was that long -- I reapplied for a fellowship with Southern Progress. This is a six month, paid internship with one department at their Birmingham campus. SP publishes Southern Living, Cooking Light, Coastal Living, Health, Sunset, and the now defunct Southern Accents.

I had three interviews with the company: one with the copy editing department of Southern Living, another with Myhomeideas.com, and the last one with the Travel/Living department of Southern Living.

Just like last spring, I thought that all the interviews went really well, but I won't know until I hear something back from the intern coordinators! I've found that it's easier to interview with SP than other jobs I've interviewed for because our time is spent having a conversation as opposed to going line for line over my resume and talking all about my experiences.

I left Atlanta mid-morning so I could get to Bham in time to eat lunch just before my first interview at one. I didn't get finished until after three, and I regret not being able to take a tour of the grounds. The buildings were really designed to blend in with the hills and surrounding woods, so you really don't feel like you're in an office park at all.

I waited to meet a handful of current interns for dinner; they offer their time to interviewees to ask questions and talk over dinner. I was very tired by the end of the day, but I knew my time would be well spent by staying. And, I didn't want to get back to Atlanta during rush hour!

There weren't any interns from the editorial or digital parts of the company, for which I interviewed, but I did get to meet one who graduated in my class from Grady.

I'm hoping to hear some good news back from SP in about a week and a half, so wish me luck!

Southern Progress

No comments:

Post a Comment