Monday, June 6, 2011

Chalkboard Picture Frame


This chalkboard picture frame project was inspired by this frame at the Home Decorators Collection. I immediately loved the idea of being able to write messages on the frame as you change out the photos, but I wanted a budget-friendly version.


It dawned on me that I could simply buy chalkboard paint and basically achieve the same result. I had a plain wood picture frame sitting around that I hated, but I knew would work perfectly for the project.

The prices are approximate based on what I paid and what similar items sell for currently. Technically I didn't invest any money in the sandpaper since we have sheets hanging out in our garage from years past but you can find it cheap at Walmart and home improvement stores.

You Will Need:
1 wood or wood composite frame (like these from Target) -- $5
Sandpaper (use a medium grain, 60-80 grit) -- $3
Chalkboard spray paint (I used a Rust-Oleum paint) -- $5

1. If your frame is varnished, gently sand the surface. Wipe residue away with a clean, damp cloth.


2. Apply 2-3 coats of chalkboard paint according to directions. Remember to always spray paint in an open, well-ventilated area. Put down clean drop cloth to paint on. In my project I've used an old plant tray.

3. Once dried, break in the paint by gently rubbing chalk over the writing surface and wipe clean with a damp cloth.


4. Put your favorite picture in the frame and write your message!

No comments:

Post a Comment