Sunday, June 12, 2011

Perfect Summer Salad


This week's recipe has two parts. My brother discovered I this Citrus-Basil Vinaigrette a few years ago and we created the salad above to pair with it. It's one of my favorites and also one that my family requests at gatherings a lot. I start with mixed baby greens and add sliced hearts of palm, toasted pine nuts, golden raisins, and mandarin orange slices. Dried cranberries, cashews, or strawberries would also be delicious. 



I love this vinaigrette because the orange and lemon juices stand out and I always add extra basil to give it a little more flavor. It's neutral enough that you could pair it with lots of different salad toppings and cuisines. 

I've tried a new format with my photos since the preparation isn't very long. Let me know how you like it! 


Citrus-Basil Vinaigrette -- revised slightly from the original recipe (Enough for 6-8 medium salads)
2 Tbsp. fresh orange juice
1 lemon, zested and juiced
1/2 tsp. salt
1 Tbsp. honey
1/8-1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp. white wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

1. Mix the following in a plastic or glass container with a lid:

 Fresh orange juice.
 Lemon zest.
Lemon juice.
 Salt.
Honey.
Chopped basil.
White wine vinegar.
Olive oil.

2. Seal the container and shake well. Chill at least two hours before serving. You can strain the basil or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment